Wednesday, December 30, 2015

carbon stars

I spent last night catching up on the AL Carbon Star list with the 8-inch.  I'm really enjoying the list -- often the stars are a challenge to find but the colors are rewarding and so unusual.  And I love this 8-inch scope; I was able to resolve airy disks throughout the session.

ST Camelopardalis was plainly orange in the finder and a deep orange in the eyepiece, fairly bright, around 7th magnitude. 

UU Aurigae was a quick find this time, as I was just able to make out Psi-3 Aurigae and point the scope to it;, then I could see UU in the finder.  The star itself is orange, and I could not find the pair, though I assume it was the faint star preceding by a wide margin.

TX Aurigae was not particularly colorful, slightly yellow and the brightest in the field.

UV Aurigae was a faint double star, the A was orange and the fainter B appeared bluish.  I read today there is a "Leaping Minnow" asterism 1-1/2 degrees to the SW, but this was out of my field -- however I do recall noticing a cluster while searching for this star, so I may have seen it but did not note it.

S Aurigae: the AL guide calls this extremely faint and impossible to judge the color.  I must have caught it at a bright moment as it appeared a pretty summer yellow.

FU Aurigae is quite close to M37, the outlying stars of which were on the edge of the FOV.  It's color and brightness make it a twin of the red star at the center of M37.  FU must be quite neglected as most observers will likely only look at M37 in their field and miss FU entirely.

V Aurigae: Here I agree with the AL guide; faint star, cannot judge the color, though I think it was a faint yellow.

SY Eridanus was a faint but very nice deep red star.

RT Orionis was a nice burnt red color

BL Orionis was found using Gamma Geminorium as a starting point, and I could see it red in the finder.  Lovely orange red in the scope

TU Geminorium was orange in the finder and a yellowish orange in the scope.  It's not far off from M35, and this one too I am sure is neglected by observers.

VW Geminorium was faint, probably 10th magnitude, and a dim red.  It took some scanning in the scope to find it.  The color was not obvious at first.

It's cloudy tonight so no observing.  I need the rest in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment