Tuesday, October 30, 2018

early morning binos

I woke at 5:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, worrying about things at work.  I could tell it was clear from the glow of moonlight in the window so I snuck outside without waking anyone with my binocular mount and the 15x70s.  First some scanning around, more or less at random, to take in the views.  Once again I'm impressed at how many colored (red, orange, blue/white) stars there are, and the new associations to see (which might have to do with the inverted view).

I found Sirius then did a little hop down to find M41, which even in the moonlight and hazy horizon was lovely with scattered stars, with two prominent orange stars in the center.  The depth of field was nice.  Orion next, viewed through a gap in the trees: the entire sword, with the great nebula very clear and hinting at its full 2 degree extant -- just imagine it under a darker sky!  The the belt, with the S-shaped trail of stars.  I tried to find M35 but did not, and M46 & 47, but did not -- star hopping is a little awkward as yet, and I didn't have an atlas so I relied on memory.  I noticed Leo just edging his front above my roof, and thought I could sweep up M44, the Beehive -- I aimed the mount in azimuth to where I though it would be in front of Leo's forepaw, then swept up with the mirror, and voila, there it was.  It nearly filled the view and spangled with its double stars; looked more like a large Christmas tree.

I ended by giving up what night vision I had and looked at the moon, sharp with details and black sky all around it to the edge terminator (no earthshine, facing away?) with some purple and yellow fringe.  Amazingly sharp rays and a chiaroscuro in the mare.  So much detail to find.

I often wish I could observe in the mornings; the seeing is much calmer, and it's a very nice way to start the day -- I feel refreshed rather than tired out from the night.  Wish I could make more time for it in my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment