Thursday, October 18, 2018

finished binocular mirror mount

I set up Big Blue to cool down after arriving home, but I ended up not using it at all last night!  Instead I tried out my binocular mirror mount and was enthralled with the view.  I'm very happy that it works, and that the mirror is good enough quality and the imperfections in my workmanship have no effect. 

The mount is smooth and mostly stable -- just a little vibration I think due to the metal strip holding the binoculars.  I could sit comfortably and enjoy the depth of view two eyes provide.  I used the 15x70s which are excellent.  The steady view really does help one see more detail, and more stars.  I mainly swept about and enjoyed picking out fresh associations of stars, which are lost with a narrower field of view.  There's a physicality and presence to the view which I don't get in the finder when star hopping, when the stars have a more utilitarian purpose.  And I noticed so many colored stars! 

So totally worth it and I can't wait to have them out at a dark site, and to try my other binos with it.  Next step is to make a cover for the mirror, and maybe attach a green laser to help with pointing -- though I had no trouble to sweep up M31, the moon, etc. with it last night.


No comments:

Post a Comment