Monday, October 22, 2018

one double and the moon

The the sky the night of the 19th was quite obscured with marine haze and it was dewy and cold, and I was tired...  I tried one double but was discouraged of seeing many of the B stars, so went on to a very rewarding session on the moon.

BU 677: Upped the magnification, to make sure no trick; checked the CDSA index to make sure what I was seeing -- 2 delta mag but very wide faint stars.  There's another one I notice with averted vision and then can hold with direct, which is another of the set.  [AB was the first, AC the second 11.2, 15.5"]
20H 47M 10.72S +34° 22' 26.8" P.A. 120 SEP 8.1 MAG 4.94,10.03 SP K3III

I used 310x and binoviewers, as the seeing was good 8/10.  I started out with crater John Herschel, then South -- the two observing buddies with adjacent craters, both with rough and rubbly floors, but Herschel being the larger.  I was able to just make out Sharp Rille and a quavering line below the Louville hills.  Gruithuisen Domes were interesting, being among the largest of the type and steep-sided.  Harbinger Mountains and Prinz Rilles next, and I could see a few more smaller of these besides the main five.  Crater Caroline Herschel was a night sight, a multi-terraced, sharp round crater.  I checked crater Kriger to see if it had its rabbit ear shadows, but they were stumpy -- I must be a day late to catch them.  The Marius Rille made a great impression (no pun intended), long and sinuous with a long rounded hook.  I checked carefully for Suess Rille but could not see it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment