Friday, April 20, 2018

quick look at moon

We've had continuing poor observing weather, along with various stresses and strains of life, so no significant observing completed.  I did however pick up a used pair of binoviewers, and last night was able to confirm I can achieve focus on my 12.5-inch in low and high power eyepieces.  I need to try the 20-inch when the opportunity presents itself.  I have a 10mm eyepiece pair on the way, and will wait until I can confirm the 20-inch before getting a low power pair.  I'm excited to try it since I hope it will enhance my home planetary and lunar viewing, and add some spice to deep sky with the 20-inch.

I had very quick looks at the moon at 277x, seeing did not permit more.  The moon is in an early phase and was temporarily blocked by our neighbor's yew trees.  Crissium was in view, with many very dark shadow filled craters about.  Messier's ejecta streams were nicely visible, especially the ones at right angles to the craters.  Below Messier was a long, dark, thin splinter which I found on the map as an unnamed (at least on that map) mare ridge; it forked at the tip pointed to Messier.  There was a long rille running in parallel to it.  On the tips of both horns of the moon there were disembodied lit peaks, seeming to float in space.  There was a ~8th magnitude star ready to be occulted, but I misjudged the speed at which the moon was moving and missed the disappearance.

Hoping for better nights soon, to help clear and calm my mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment