Sunday, December 17, 2017

abandoned trip

I went down to Fremont Peak again tonight, full of hope to get more of a hang of the scope but especially to chase some special objects.  Wispy clouds swept the sky on the drive down, and upon getting to the observatory I could see most of the north horizon was clouded.  I opened up anyway, and ate my dinner.  I was able to get internet signal, so I checked the satellite and saw the solid white wall coming down from the north.  I suppose I could have stayed, and tried the setting circles, and at least a few objects, but I knew my heart wasn't in it, so I closed up (making sure of the turnbuckles and the other closing items...).  I did pan around with my Vixens for a while, to get some astro satisfaction.  Of course the sky remained more or less clear, making me second guess my decision.  If I didn't know I'd have a long and difficult day at work tomorrow I would have stuck it out, but you can't win every battle.  There will be other times.

No comments:

Post a Comment