Wednesday, June 22, 2016

jupiter and mars

Had a session last night using the 12.5-inch, but was disappointed with the seeing.  Very watery and difficult to hold detail.  I think the upper atmosphere was fine, but near the ground there was a lot of turbulence due to the temperature swing from the 90s to the 60s after dark -- too much heat being released by houses, streets, and the ground.  Tonight's forecast is much the same, with great transparency and good seeing -- it's not as hot today so perhaps it will be better.

I only made two observations, Jupiter and Mars.  Io had just started a transit when I began a little after 9pm, but I could not see its disk despite being at 340x (and the planetary filter & apodising screen).  Not like Fremont Peak last month with the 20-inch, where we tracked Io as long as we wanted.  My sketch reveals some largish festoons in the central band, but nothing remarkable.  I observed Mars for a while then turned back to Jupiter at around 10:15pm to see Io's shadow, a very small round black dot on the NEB.  Always nice to see a shadow transit; Jupiter is getting pretty low so there won't be many chances.

Mars looked better, using the same set-up.  Syrtis Major was a prominently dark triangle near the western limb.  I also observed the lighter sweeps of Sinus Sabaeus, Sinus Meridiani, and the beginnings of Mare Acidalium.  Arabia was a clean clear orange color, with Eden pointed directly at me from the center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment