Tuesday, June 21, 2016

full moon

Yesterday evening Carol asked when the moon was to rise.  I pointed it out over the East Bay hills when we were driving home from a party Sunday night.  She wanted to see it again.  So we went for a walk out to a nearby levee trail which had clear views to the west.  No moon, it was still too early.  I promised I'd look at it at night.

While reclining on the couch reading before bedtime, the moon shown down through a gap in the window and reminded me of my promise.  I stepped out onto the back patio and saw a wonderfully transparent night with some altocumulus bands illuminated silver by the moonlight.  I grabbed my 7x35 binoculars for a closer look.  Scoprius was standing on it's tail, with just the lower curve blocked by a neighbor's house.  Mars and Antares were brilliant red.  The clouds moved and changed shape imperceptibly: I'd look for a while tracing the glowing broken shoals, then coming back notice they had been transformed.  One small cloud had a wavy pattern to it, like sand ribbed by slow shallow surf.  That apparition lasted for about 10 minutes.  The moon itself rode placidly above the scene.

I dutifully reported what I observed to Carol this morning, and she was very pleased by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment