Thursday, March 17, 2016

same four

I looked at the same four objects as last night: Iota Cancri, Beta Monocerotis, the moon, and Jupiter.

My separation estimates seem to be on track.  I tried position angle last night and they are way off, by 20 - 40 degrees.  I think it is some fault in how the pointer is attached; will try again tonight.

The moon was amazingly clear with lots of contrast last night, 553x and I could've pushed it higher.  I noticed my Lunar Eagle once again, very distinct.  In all the moon looked very substantial, with a weight and shape to the physical features, as if it was a beaten clay object.  And near the tip of the terminator there were successive waves of ridgelines with one final mountain range disembodied from the rest of the sphere.  A remarkable view.

Jupiter held 553x pretty well.  It was noticeably more orange than last night, which was more yellow.  The NEB was considerably darker than the SEB, but the southern edge of the SEB was pretty dark, and the SEB itself had a long thin barge of lighter material nearly splitting it in two.  The GRS was near the limb when I started viewing and had moved about half its width further away from the limb in the half hour I spent looking at it.  Once again airliners disturbed the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment