Sunday, June 20, 2021

mons pico flash

 The night of the 18th seeing was ok but there was a bit of a veil of marine haze.  I had a look at the moon at 205x, checking out the terminator, when I noticed three areas with very bright reflections.  One small and bight point was so intense I was able to perform a star test!  The other two were larger, one with three progressively smaller disks in a small arc, and the other with two shards of light like broken glass.

These were all reflections of mountain tops during the lunar dawn.  They were very dramatic because they were so intensely bright.  The three disks were Mons Pico Beta, the shards Mons Pico itself, and as best as I can tell, the little point of light was a peak near crater Mouchez.  I tried to capture it with a celphone snap.



No comments:

Post a Comment