Wednesday, July 22, 2020

neowise

The last couple of weeks comet Neowise has been putting on a better and better show.  I got up early a couple times last week to drive up to Skyline Blvd. for a look.  Also trekked out to the local bike path for a clear view over trees when it became visible in the evening.  Also drove out with the family Sunday evening to Del Valle to have a look, but the view was greatly obscured by wildfire smoke and a lot of cars driving by. 

The coma has since dimmed but the tail has grown ever longer, and it also sprouted an ion tail.  Monday night this week I drove to Pinnacles and observed it with binoculars, my 10-inch, and a 2x56mm photography lens.  All views were really good, through the binoculars provided the most pleasing view.  I could see the ion tail in the scope, faintly, but not the binoculars.  Over the couple hours of viewing, before it sank too low, I observed about 10 degrees of tail length.  The coma was strongly green in the twilight but a more muted green when fully dark.  The comet filter emphasized the green color into the tail.  The west edge of the tail was lightly diffuse but straight, but the eastern faded gradually and was far more diffuse.  I was really glad I went, it was worth the effort.

I only casually observed the rest of the night, mostly scanning about.  With the 10-inch I mainly want to take in the wide expanse of the views; I don't feel motivated to chase challenging and unique objects.  I turned in a bit early, too.

The skies are to be clear tomorrow but there are family commitments.  I hope we can still get out Friday, though the moon will be a bit larger and might damage the view.

This was taken by Michael U. at the Pinnacles the same night I was there.

1000 - final.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment