Wednesday, June 5, 2019

it was the fan!

I was out only briefly with the 20".  The mirror was well cooled having fans running on it since 5:30pm.  I still had the bar shaped aberration.  For some reason I thought to turn off the fans to see the effect.  At first I turned off the boundary layer fans, no change.  Then I turned off the rear fan, and bingo! clean star images.  The effect was immediate.  I turned the rear fan back on and watched as the bar reformed.

I am very puzzled about this, since I had not made any change to the fan.  It could be the rear light baffle I added is causing a weird air current -- but the boundary layer fan should take care of that, and anyway the aberration is there whether those fans are on or off.  In any case, I will remount the rear fan and see whether that solves the problem, with the baffle on.  Otherwise it's off with the baffle.

Nothing interesting to note other than there was a very bright ISS pass travelling west to south east, which faded post meridian as it finally entered earth's shadow.  It's staying light very late now, so observing time is limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment