Saturday, December 8, 2018

7x50s

Last night another clear sky, but seeing was forecast to be poor, so I kept BB in the stable.  I used my binocular mirror mount, this time with the 7x50s.  I'm glad I made the mirror yoke adjustable for different focal length binos; the 7x50s needed it slid all the way up the rail.  Once again, stunning views, this time with a 12 degree field.  M45 with a huge field of stars around.  All of the Hyades comfortably in the view.  Scanning from M37 to M36 and M38.  Stock 1 in Perseus.

Orion with its belt and sword as it rose over the meridian tree.  This was a special view, since I had the upper branches of the redwood tree in the view along with the belt, sword, and the Great Nebula.  It gave a earthly scale to the celestial scene, and reminded me of my human life in relation to the rest of the universe.  This feeling is the driving force behind my observing and I hope never to forget it.

I'm convinced the mirror mount is the only way to use binoculars for astronomy.  I hope to have it out to a dark sky soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment