Tuesday, June 6, 2017

changing forecast

Forecast yesterday was for clear skies and above average transparency and seeing.  But there was an awful lot of haze in the air as I drove home, so I didn't bother to open up the observatory.  Then at dusk when taking out the trash I noticed it was fairly clear!  I opened up and tried to cool the mirror.

I had nice views of Jupiter at 340x: a striated southern polar region, darker than the northern; a baby red spot and other dark barges in the SEB; a large bruise colored festoon in the central band, a thick arc shape with a lot of filigree; white and dark rust colored ovals in the NEB; a bright band just north of the NEB when the seeing stilled; a very uniform color northern polar region.

Once the just past quarter moon cleared the meridian tree I had a look at it; nice detail too.  But once again thin fog blew over, scattering the moon's light over much of the sky.  So packed in early.

Forecast is clear once again tonight but there are still clouds and haze in the sky.  We will see what it will be like tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment