Thursday, May 4, 2017

jupiter action

The night of the 2nd I was out in the back yard.  Using the 12-inch I had some high power (553x) views of the lunar terminator -- far too many details to write about.  At 10pm there was an Io transit of Jupiter, and Europa to come out of eclipse -- practically at the same time, 10:03pm.  Jupiter was behind the meridian tree so I set-up my 8-inch and viewed at 295x.  Seeing was pretty good.  Io's disk punctured the limb and finally was a round bright disk over the NEB.  Then I watched a small flare come into view following the planet -- and within about 30 seconds it, Europa, had become a bright disk.  Io continued transiting and I could still make out its disk when 30 minutes later its shadow took a nibble from the limb.  I watched until it was a complete circle, then packed it in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment