Tuesday, December 15, 2020

14 december 2020

 Jupiter and Saturn are headed for a very close conjunction, with closest separation on 21 December.  Apparently it won't happen again for another 800 years.  Since it's predicted to be rainy and cloudy much of the next week, I took advantage of relatively clear skies yesterday evening to have a look through my Springsonian.  

The two were a bit more than half a FOV apart, so I guess around 1-1/4 degrees.  Jupiter was very bright as were its moons -- three of which were on the western side and formed a very tight triangle, the fourth on the other side.  Of the three close together I could clearly see size and subtle color differences -- sort of a mini conjunction within the main event.  Saturn was very much smaller in size and a greenish brown color, and the two moons I saw were smaller and much dimmer.  Normally one could easily tell these differences by slewing between one and the other, but having them in the same eyepiece field makes the comparison obvious.

I put the mount in the shed so it's easier to bring out and set-up, so if we do have some good weather coming I can quickly have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment