Friday, December 6, 2019

great flares

I tried to spend some time outside this morning, since there is a storm approaching with rain starting this afternoon and lasting until Tuesday.  Out on the trail I was very surprised to see a bald eagle, flying right above me and landing on a tree.  He was being harassed by crows.  Large bird, with the distinctive white head, hooked beak, and large yellow-orange feet.  He flew off after a minute or so.  First time to see one.

After lunch there was a nice bright clear window between the clouds so I brought out my PST.  There were two very nice prominences visible.  One was a short but very bright hook, and the other, about 60 degrees away, was a very large faint fountain, spraying in an irregular fan shape very far from the limb.  There was a smaller arc nearby but I don't think they were connected.  The SDO image shows the bright hook at 9:30 and the large fan at 2:00.  I did not see the third prominence at 11:00; maybe it sprung up between when I had lunch then came up here to post!  I could see very fine graining / orange peel on the disk but only along the rim of the disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment