Monday, November 4, 2019

3 November 2019

With daylight savings time I started to observe shortly before dinner, this time the quarter moon.  Seeing was quite good, and I was pleased that the cheap 25mm Meade eyepieces I used in the binoviewer.  It was a trick to find the right eye position but once there the contrast was quite good.  There was so much amazing detail to be seen.

After evening chores, I went out again at 9pm.  My computer needed to do an update so in the meantime I slewed over to BU 1, a lovely "L" set of stars with a close pair at the tip of the small L.  There was an arc of three faint stars above it, which disappeared when I put the 8" mask on.  I didn't need the mask however since I was getting perfect airy disks at full aperture.

Once the PC was working, I had a lot of trouble slewing to targets.  As I think about it now, I likely need to reset the Argo's clock due to daylight savings time.  It was frustrating, since seeing was so good (though transparency is still hurt with wildfire smoke.

I more or less gave up and decided to have a look at Uranus, which was just clearing the meridian tree.  I needed to slew around a bit to find it, but it really looked great.  At 333x it was a beautiful light blue orb, and I could see some faint small dark swirls in the disk, and one side of it had a buff color to it.  I could also see two faint moons, which disappeared with the 8" mask.

Seeing is to be good again tonight, but there is still a lot of smoke haze in the air.  Hope it will still be a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment