Monday, September 23, 2019

c/2018 w2 Africano

Saturday night Clara and I helped do outreach at Fremont Peak.  We brought the 10" Dobstuff and had an enjoyable night.  Clara got more used to moving the telescope and was able to find Jupiter & Saturn on her own.  Once it was fully dark I showed off the eastern Veil Nebula for the public.  Before we packed up we had a go for the comet C/2018 W2 Africano, which I was able to find pretty easily.  The finder chart got me in the general area and some spiral searching brought me to a faint but easily noticeable glow, about half a degree across, with a brighter central region and faint & diffuse coma.  I did not notice a psudo-nucleus but I did notice the beginnings of a tail.

I like the 10" very well but I hate the Destiny secondary mirror holder, it cannot hold collimation.  I am replacing it with an Astrosystems which is on the way.  I want to replace the focuser too, since it doesn't handle heavy eyepieces.  It could be a great little scope with some minor improvements.

CalStar starts on Wednesday, but the weather does not look promising.  In any case I can't get out this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment