Sunday, February 12, 2017

45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova

It's been a couple weeks since I've been able to get outside with a telescope.  A lot of rain, and being sick, and long hours at work.  Last night I set-up Clara's telescope (10-inch f3.8 Springsonian) since I wanted to use it very early this morning to try for fast-moving comet 45P/HMP.  I still feel unwell, so after setting up last night I looked at the Orion Nebula, the Pleiades, and some general scanning about.  I left the mount set-up and went to bed early.

The alarm woke me at 4:30am and I went outside.  It was cold, and the moon, only one day past full, shone brightly.  Transparency was poor; I saw a jet leaving a long silvery vapor trail behind it.  The moonlight was badly scattered.  I could barely make out Hercules, with which I orientated myself.  The comet should have traced a path from Beta Hercules to Corona Borealis during the night.  Unfortunately the finder I had did not have hourly demarcations, so I was unsure exactly where to aim.  I started in CrB where and then panned down to Beta Her.  I did this numerous times, sometimes thinking I saw a diffuse glow, but it seemed to disappear.  I tried 35x at first then increased to 50x to see if the improved contrast helped.  No luck.  I think the main problem was the moonlight but next time I will make sure to have a finderscope and a better finder chart.  The comet will still be visible after the moon has moved out of the way, so I will give it another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment