Saturday, January 14, 2017

sun today

It's a bright sunny day, the first in a couple of weeks.  So after lunch I took out my PST for some solar viewing.  At first I did not see any prominences but after fiddling with the tuning three prominent jets on the sidereal western limb popped into view.  These appear at the 2:30 position in the image below.

I saw three arcs, instead of the uniform splotch shown below: one appeared like an Eiffel Tower, with two short legs touching the limb then joining to form an elongated A, the tip of it spouted material in a short diffuse fountain.  Next to it was a two-thirds complete arc, rather thick, which did not quite touch the side of the A.  Next to that was a straighter stream, fainter than the rest.

At the 1:30 position I noticed a short, faint, straighter stream.

The prominence at the 9:30 position was most surprising.  It took some effort to get the tuning and focus just right, but I could see a thick, short arc from which a larger stream flowed.  It did not seem to arc back to the limb but I did see it momentarily stretch a very faint stream back to the limb when the seeing stilled.

Nearby to this was a sunspot pair (# 2626), with a third, smaller sunspot further in (# 2625).  This appears as the bright flaming crack on the left side of the image below.  Near the center is a bright circular patch; this appeared as a bright spot.  Near the center was a ridge-like faculae, not quite seen in this image.

There are other prominences on this image, which I did not see.  I suppose I should have been able to see the bright arc at 7:00; I suppose seeing did not cooperate.  I also find my best focus is near the center of the FOV, probably due to the rusting of the coatings on the lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment