Friday, November 18, 2016

the consolations of astronomy

There's been more gloom than just cloudy skies to contend with the last couple of weeks.   There were breaks a couple of evenings before the "Supermoon," (closest to earth since 1948), which I observed with the Astroscan and the 5mm Nagler.  The whole of the moon fit comfortably in the field, and I tried to distract myself tracing the terminator and following crater rays about.  It helped, for a little while.  So did listening to Mozart during my commute, instead of the news.  It is with these little nibbles at culture that we treat ourselves.  But the fight must stay in us to make a better world.

This morning was very cold; in the 30s outside.  I woke at around 4:30am and went downstairs to turn on the furnace.  Outside the waning gibbous moon shone brightly.  The sky was very still and clear.  Sirius barely twinkled.  It would be a perfect time to go out and try to split it.  But I balked, and decided to get another hour's sleep.  I may have missed the opportunity, and the forecast is for cloudy weather as far as it goes.  But there will be another chance.  Such is the consolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment