Friday, August 26, 2016

10-inch f3.8 first light

After working weeks and taking up vacation days, I finally got the mount for the 10-inch f3.8 to the point where I could use it under the stars last night.  It's a great little scope, optically; I love the wide field view.  What makes it special is the Springsonian mount, where the axis of altitude rotation is at the eyepiece; I can sit and sweep the sky comfortably.  I'm really going to love "Clara's Telescope."

Mechanically, there were some challenges.  I hate the University Optics cell; it's too difficult to align inside the tube while securing the threaded rods.  Surely there must be an easier way to mount but I don't know it.  I had to prop the ring up with some wood while getting it centered then bolt it down.  After a half an hour I got it close enough.  I was able to collimate but needed to crank one bolt nearly all the way -- could be a lingering problem with the UO cell or just that the mirror is glued unevenly.

I had intended to use a motorcycle jack under the rocker box to make it a standing scope, one which many people of different heights could use.  But I found the jack was too wobbly with the weight.  I wonder why; if I had my motorcycle up to work on it I would want it solid.  So I'm using the scope as sit-down only for now until I can figure out a way of making stand-up work.

I had to use more weight on the balance arm but i was prepared for it.  The mount has some lateral wobble on side walls, but if I turn the azimuth buy the lower box there is no vibration.  I need to redo the ground board, a little too tippy -- I will use hockey pucks and widen the radius of the teflon pads.  I also need to relocate the Rigel Quickfinder.
 
Marine layer was blowing in, so I could only view in sucker holes.  I found Altair first to line up the quickfinder.  Right away I noticed the beautiful star field around the bright star; actually everywhere I looked was a beautiful field -- this is what the wide view gives you.  I found I could still scan a wide swath of sky in right ascension -- maybe an hour or more -- which is nice, I don't need to constantly pick up the chair to move it around.

While scanning around Cygnus I came upon M39 -- it was a large, obvious association of stars, made all the more striking by seeing it in wider context with more sky around it.  I had the same feeling when I swept up IC 4665 in Ophiuchus.  I just happened upon it, a lovely large loose cluster.  M6 the Butterfly Cluster.   I could fit all of The Coathanger comfortably in the field.

I can't wait to take this to a darker sky and really see what it can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment